Listening is the most important skill you can develop when working with others. Build your listening by doing some of the suggestions below and decrease your barriers to listening by doing some of the suggestions below.
Removing barriers to listening list:
1. Put your cell phone down
2. Stop talking while they are talking
3. Stop assuming you know what they are going to say
4. Stop listening with the attempt to reply
5. Shut off the monologue running through you head
Building listening skills list:
1. Look at that person directly
2. Ask questions about parts of the conversation that interests you
3. Listen with the intent to understand the others person’s viewpoint
People love to feel heard and understood. This is a fundamental need of people. Having others feel unserstood when they are talking to you will enhance your people skills by developing your listening skills.